- Feature Links
- Drinking Water Treatment Facility
Drinking Water Quality
Information about the quality of Pierre’s current drinking water is available in the City’s annual drinking water report.
The City of Pierre began looking into treated water options following a community survey. The results show the majority of respondents thought the City should consider constructing a water treatment facility to combat the high mineral content found in Pierre’s current water supply.
AE2S, an engineering consulting firm, was hired to study Pierre’s water system and its options for treating water. AE2S recommended the City build a more than $37 million water treatment plant just south of the Missouri River highway bridge.
The Pierre City Commission put the project to a public vote in June of 2018. The project passed with 73% of the vote.
In July 2020, the City Commission approved the facility design and project cost .
Currently, Pierre’s water is obtained from a series of wells located throughout the City. Water is treated at the wellhead and pumped to reservoir storage units for distribution throughout the community.
The City of Pierre Water Department pumps and treats up to 5.5 million gallons of water each day.
- When the Drinking Water Treatment Facility in Pierre is complete, how much will my water improve?
- When the Drinking Water Treatment Facility is built in Pierre is complete, will the City's water quality be similar to the water produced by Mid-Dakota or Mni Wicon?i?
- How does Pierre's current water quality compare to Mid-Dakota or Mni Wiconi water quality?
- 2.27.18 Water Study Recommends $35 Million Treatment Plant
- 3.13.21: Drinking Water Treament Facility Marine Work Update
- 3.7.18 Water Treatment Plant Proposal: First Informational Meeting Scheduled
- 6.5.18 Pierre to Build Water Treatment Facility
- 7.7.20 Water Treatment Facility Design Unveiled
- 8.4.20 Drinking Water Treatment Facility: Ground Breaking Ceremony Scheduled
- 9.17.19 Pierre City Commission Passes Budget; Considers Water Rate Change
- Insight: Drinking Water Treatment Facility Presentation @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>