Pierre/Fort Pierre Historic Preservation Commission
Minutes – March 12th, 2012
The meeting was called to order by Gordon Koch at 12:05
Members present: Gordon Koch, Alice Wright, Marv Paulson, Don Zeller, John Salladay
Members absent: Leon Schochenmaier, Dave Bonde, Eileen Fischer
Guests Present: Roger Easland, Betsy DeLoache
Approval of Minutes of February 13th, 2011: February minutes reviewed. Motion to approve February 13th, 2012 minutes by John Salladay, seconded by Don Zeller. Motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report: Report was provided by Don Zeller. Currently $500 from Pierre and $250 from Fort Pierre in the PFPHPC account. There were no expenses during this period.
Building Permit Review: None to review at this time
· Brief Update on QR Code Project – Don Zeller will notify all vendors who have expressed an interest in supporting the QR Code Project that the Commission has selected BPro to “host” the project web site.
· Final Review/Discussion on grant application – The grant application has been completed and Gordon Koch will sign it and deliver the document to Chris Nelson at the Historical Society. It must be submitted by March 31, 2012.
· History conference April 13 & 14 2012 attendees – As previously reported Gordon Koch and Don Zeller have committed to attend the annual conference in Pierre on Apr 13 & 14. A motion was made by John Salladay and seconded by Marv Paulson for Gordon and Don to attend with re-imbursement for registration fees which are anticipated to be approximately $85 each. Motion passed.
· Report of Action on 102 S. Jefferson – Gordon Koch reported that the application for this property to be added to the SD Historical property list is in the Mayor’s office for signature. Leon Schochenmaier will continue to monitor.
· Meeting with Ft Pierre Mayor Tidball regarding appointment processes – Gordon Koch met with the Ft Pierre Mayor and outlined the process with which Pierre appoints members to various commissions. As Fort Pierre develops their process for appointing members to this commission Mayor Tidball will use some of the procedures currently in use by Pierre.
· Meeting with Willie Gloe ref Ft Pierre website – Gordon Koch contacted Willie Gloe, city of Ft Pierre, regarding creating a “link” on the City of Fort Pierre web site for posting of monthly minutes and other Commission business. The web site is up and working at this time on their home page.
· Meeting with Darby Nutter, Fort Pierre on property list expansion – Gordon Koch met with Darby Nutter regarding additional historic sites that may be an appropriate fit for inclusion on the Historical Registry. Approximately 20 additional sites were discussed.
· Missouri River Bridge Dedication – Gordon Koch met with Leon Schochenmaier and it was decided that the bridge sign re-dedication will not take place in conjunction with Oahe Days but will be scheduled later in the year.
· QR Code property listing narratives – Don Zeller reported that many of the pictures and the narrative for the various locations to be included in this project are already in existence in various brochures and web sites. As this portion of the project comes closer to action a more defined process for completion will be developed.
· Review NPS Annual Products Report for CLGs – A review of the annual National Park Service Annual Products Report for CLSs was completed as information only. This annual report is prepared by the State Historical Society and is forwarded to the National Park Service in Washington D.C. There was nothing of special note in the report and Gordon will report that back to Chris Nelson at the Historical Society.
· Training in South Carolina – Gordon Koch outlined the annual training in Beaufort, SC called the Capstone Experience during the period June 3 – 8, 2012. No members felt they could schedule this training at this time. The Commission will meet its annual training requirements with the local training provided in Pierre in April 2012.
Announcements/Other Business – None
Next Meeting – April 9th, 2012